4.21.2014

this could be that moment


In high school, I was a really good student. I graduated with a 4.5 GPA as valedictorian with honors and blah blah blah. So naturally I had high hopes for college. I wanted to go somewhere great. I knew I wasn't Ivy League material or anything, but I wanted to go somewhere prestigious. I had my sights set on Washington University in St. Louis. It has like the #4 medical school in the country, and the campus is B-E-A-UTIFUL. I was obsessed and I decided that it was the only place I was going to apply because I knew that I wouldn't be happy anywhere else. But guess what? I got put on the wait list. I cried. A lot. And I was so mad. But I had that little ounce of hope that they would take people from the wait list. But guess what? They didn't. So I got stuck going to U of A, which (and this is embarrassing to admit) I felt I was "too good for." God I was annoying. But honestly, getting rejected from that school where everyone is an A student and studies 10 hours a day was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I'm barely getting a good GPA at UofA and I'm so over school, so I know if I was there I would be miserable. If I was in St. Louis, I probably wouldn't be with DJ. I wouldn't have been home when he came home that first time, and we probably wouldn't have started a relationship. I wouldn't have some of my best friends that I met here at UofA. I wouldn't have been in Arizona to meet C Town and K Camp who are the shiznit.

It amazes me that a day that I thought was the worst day ever ended up being life changing in the best way possible. At the time, I would've never believed that getting rejected from the school I'd dreamed of going to would be a good thing, but looking back it honestly changed my life. It's crazy how something can be so life changing without you even knowing it, right?

Like when I added DJ on Facebook a year and a half ago. I clicked a button on the computer and it changed my life. What if I hadn't added him? Or he hadn't messaged me? I remember being hesitant to add him because it had been so long since we'd seen each other, and I didn't know if he still remembered me. But I did it (yolo). I didn't expect anything to come out of it- it was just a friend request to a cute guy on Facebook. But here we are, over a year later, and we've spoken every day since. We dream of our wedding and talk about our future kids and we're madly in love. Who would've thought?

Its crazy to think that something happening right now can be life changing and we don't even know it. Writing this post could change me life. Maybe the spaghetti I'm eating right now will change my life. Maybe the trip I'm about to take to Sonic to get ice cream will be life changing. Who knows! Everything happens for a reason. Something that might seem terrible could end up being the best thing thats ever happened. I'm trying to keep that in mind these next couple of weeks as I'm counting down the days to see DJ. I think about how badly waiting sucks, but in all honestly, being apart from each other was probably the best thing for our relationship. It has made us so strong and has proved to us that we never want to live without each other. It's honestly been a blessing.

So, the bad things don't always end up being so bad, the small things might not really be so small, and this could be the moment that changes everything.

 photo signaturep_zps80225a13.png

9 comments:

  1. Love this. Also, you're the shiznit too. And I hope sonic changed your life for the better last night :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda love this post a lot! So good and so true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is all so true!! I'm so glad to have found your blog and read this post today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it so strange to look back and think of what lead you to where you are? There are so many moments in my life that I thought were the worst things in the world that ultimately lead to me being exactly where I am today. Everything truly does happen for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a very similar school situation - I, too, am so glad I ended up where I did! If I got into my first choice of schools I would have stayed in the same general area I grew up in. Going to my second choice of schools gave me the chance to travel 5000 kms away from home and see a totally different part of the country. Life has a funny way of working out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was the same way when I graduated college - I didn't get these jobs that I felt I was way more than qualified to have. But I ended up at a small company that no one has even heard of and it's probably been the best thing to ever happen to me. Keep this "this could be that moment" mentality when apply for jobs! :D It's a great mentality to have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wash U...such an amazing school AND hospital. That's where I get all my scans, procedures, etc. it's where I received all my cancer treatments. I have 6 doctors that are Wash U physicians and alla re rated as top docs in the US. So I understand why you wanted to go there. When I wanted to go back for nursing, I was going to go to their accelerated school. But I was wait listed. And then I got married and moved away. I'm glad you didn't get off the wait list bc your love with DJ is far better :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post! It is incredibly disappointing at the time when you feel rejected or don't get the opportunity that you've been hoping for, but then some where down the line you realize your life is the better for it. New things emerge that wouldn't have been possible if you'd only got what you thought you wanted so badly. I'm so glad this worked out for you in the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brianna, I relate to you SO MUCH. I had a similar story...GPA, Valedictorian, blah blah blah...but I go to an Ivy League school, and I've had so much inner turmoil, especially this year, where I've second-guessed my decision and worried and stressed and panicked and worried some more. I developed problems with anxiety (which, naturally, I blogged about here: http://cominguprosestheblog.com/struggling-with-anxiety/) and my self-confidence took a downward spiral...I was just losing it. But, I met Boyfriend at school, 1 month before officially starting freshman year - it's funny how fate takes over, isn't it? And I FB requested him, and 3 days later he accepted and messaged me. And we've been together ever since!

    lovelovelove,
    Erica
    cominguprosestheblog.com

    ReplyDelete